God is spirit according to John 4:24:
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
God has given us a gift of what he himself is. We receive the gift of holy spirit when we recognize Jesus Christ as Lord and believe God raised him up from death. It gives us access to the throne of God and his wonderful son. We become sons of God through the spirit.
So what does that mean? I Corinthians gives us some amazing information in chapters12, 13, 14 and it is something God does not want us to ignorant about. We must understand how that spirit works in us. The profit that result from our utilization of the gift manifests itself as we rely on God:
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one (profit) is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another(again referring to the profit and in all the rest of the list) the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. I Corinthians 12:8-11
How do these benefits profit us?:
1. Word of wisdom – it is no accident that this is listed first. God’s wisdom supersedes all other wisdom. We have access to that wisdom spiritually. God can inform us what to do about a given situation.
2. Word of knowledge – It also applies to what is specifically going on around us. God can provide us knowledge about what is happening above what we know by our five senses.
3. Faith is our spiritual believing so necessary to enlist the power of God. Our minds may be shaky but our innermost being can rise to God’s level of carrying out what seems impossible.
4. Gifts of healing – healing is a gift of God. We are surrounded by things that man created that are not the best for our health. God is the true healer and can pull us out of whatever challenge we face.
5. Working of miracles – the energizing of things that happen that are beyond our natural man ability. When healing takes place instantaneously, working of miracles has been energized by God.
6. Prophecy – speaking forth the heart and word that God wants spoken. There are many examples of this in the Old Testament with individual men and women upon whom the spirit of God rested on. There were even times in the Old Testament when the spirit rested upon others, not just the leaders (Numbers 11:25-29). God’s will is that he can communicate with any believer and that believer can speak forth the words of God. The New Testament provided this access.
7. Discerning of spirits- separating good from evil. God does not want us to be fooled.
8. Speaking in tongues- This refers to praying in the spirit. Sometimes we don’t know what to pray for or maybe we don’t have to know the details of what is going on. Maybe it is none of our business. We can still pray in the spirit. Praying is our business. Praying spiritually is so much easier than praying with our understanding sometimes.
9. Interpretation of tongues – when in a gathering, this explains what is spoken in a tongue so that all can be edified and built up.
God may give us a word of knowledge about something and then not tell us to do anything about it. Also, God doesn’t have to give us information on everything. The important thing to understand is that he’s the one who is the source and knows what is best. Great lessons in life are learned when we rest in God’s wisdom. Our brains were designed by God and we can think. To see spiritually, which is to see things that are hidden behind what we see, we need the spirit of God informing us. Something may appear so wonderful on the surface, but God may show us something totally different.
In I Corinthians 14:1, Paul writes that we are to follow after the love of God (I Corinthians 13) and desire spiritual matters and especially that we may prophesy. Speaking God’s heart and word is what we all need. The gift of holy spirit is what inspires and reveals God’s solutions.
7 As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ; 8 Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; Colossians 1:7-9